Campmaster Information

Financial Instructions for Camp-Master

As Camp Master, one of your duties is to plan the financial aspects of the camp-out. This is written to help you understand everything you need to take into account, and help you communicate it clearly to the scouts. There are generally three costs associated with every camp-out.

Camping Fee

Each camp-out may or may not have a camping fee. This consists of:

1. any charges to camp at our destination;

2. any equipment rental costs; and

3. any admission fees.

Scouts and adults may pay this fee in cash, by check or by using their scout account. As Camp-Master, you can choose whether you want to collect this money yourself, or have the scouts and adults pay the troop Treasurer. If the Treasurer is collecting the fees, she will need a list of attendees. You should calculate the fee needed and include the amount, date due, and the name of the individual collecting the camping fee on the camp-out flyer.

Generally, the camping fees are deposited in the Troop Treasury and checks are written to the appropriate parties. You will need to let the Treasurer know what checks you need and the amounts by the Monday before the camp-out. Sometimes, it is necessary for you to pay some costs yourself and be reimbursed after the camp-out. After the camp-out, please give receipts to the Treasurer.

Grub Money

This amount is based upon the number of meals to be cooked on the camp-out and is generally calculated at $4.00 per meal. Scouts and adults must pay this fee in cash. You should calculate the fee and include on the camp-out flyer the amount, date due and the fact that it must be paid in cash to the patrol grub-master (or old goat grub-master for adults).

Bus Money

This amount should be calculated based upon the number of miles to be driven, number of troop vehicles (e.g. are we taking the bus and the trailer), the number going on the camp-out and the current prevailing fuel rates.

Bus fuel based on cost of diesel figuring bus makes 8 MPG. Trailer pull fuel based on cost of gas figuring truck makes 10 MPG.

Bus Replacement Fund:

  • Add $1/rider for round trip less than 50 miles.
  • Add $2/rider for round trip 50 to 150 miles.
  • Add $4/rider for round trip greater than 150 miles.

All scouts and any adults riding the bus are to pay bus money. If, for some reason, a scout is riding in another vehicle, he is still required to pay bus money.

You should calculate the bus money amount and include on the camp-out flyer the amount and the fact that it must be paid in cash when boarding the bus. Bus money should be kept in an envelope and used by the driver to put fuel in the vehicle(s) as needed on and at the end of the trip. Extra money left after the tank is filled at the end of the trip can be kept and given to the bus driver for the next camp-out or deposited in the troop Treasury for the “Transportation Fund”.

If you need assistance in calculating any of the amounts listed above, do not hesitate to call the Scoutmaster.

Also, once you complete the form...e-mail it to Webmaster ( ) for publication on the troop web site.

An example of a nice format to list the financial information for a camp-out follows:



September 23-25, 2005

Informational Flyer

What to Bring:…
What to Wear:…

Camping Fee of $10.00 is due to Camp-Master XXX by Monday, September 12, 2005.

Grub Money of $12.00 in cash is due to your patrol grub master by Monday, September 19,2005.

Bus Money of $5.00 in cash is due when you board the bus.

Camp Master is XXXX XXXX. Call him at 555-5555 with any additional questions.


Past Writeups, Flyers, etc.

The campmaster is responsible for creating or updating a file in the file cabinet in the Scout Room closet listing the contacts, itinerary, maps, flyers and any other materials that would be helpful to a future campmaster planning the same trip.  Electronic files may also be submitted to the Webmaster or added to the Google Docs folder for future reference.

Doug Brownlee,
Jan 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
Doug Brownlee,
Jan 23, 2013, 12:00 PM